Thursday 7 June 2012

Cushion cover in blue and white


.
Hello, I hope you all enjoyed the weekend, especially those of you in the UK with the extra holiday and all the parties and Jubilee Celebrations.
I had the pleasure of going to London on Saturday 2nd June, to visit Fat Quarterly (e-zine) at their summer retreat. The venue was full of enthusiastic patchworkers, grouped around tables working on a variety of workshops and challenges. (I'm sorry the picture is so small). Throughout the day there was a happy buz of chatter and hum of activity. I was quite disappointed to have to leave in the afternoon. If you want to catch a glimpse of what they are all up to you can find Fat Quarterly on line.

 Since last week I have changed one of the fabrics I am using for this series of blogs, but I have stayed with the blue and white theme, for this cushion
For this project you will need approx 50cms each of blue and white fabrics ( plus 60cms for backing).
To cut the fabrics I used the Big Shot and dies 657609 - 41/2"unfinished square, and 656681 - 21/2" strip.                                                                                                                                                       
Using the strip die I cut 3 strips from strips from both fabrics, and using the square die, I cut  two squares from each fabric.
With right sides together join 1 white strip to 1 blue strip along the length, repeat with the other 2 pairs. Press the seam towards the blue on the wrong side. the strips are now 41/2" wide.
Cut the strips to make 18 pieces 21/2" x 41/2", and 11 pieces 41/2"x41/2".
Join the 21/2" pieces together as shown in the photo
The next blog will show you how to put all the pieces together to make the cushion front.
Have fun in the meantime, and although the weather isn't very summery here, we can happily stay in and reduce our fabric stash, even if the weeds are growing outside. After all every cloud has a silver lining.


No comments:

Post a Comment