Thursday 19 September 2013

Watch out for this really useful die.

f 

Hello. As Katy said on Monday - Autumn is definitely here!
I do love the Autumn, not all the extra layers we need to wear, but the colours of the trees, the rustle of the leaves as you walk through them ( or skip and kick through them - I still enjoy that!)
It's also the time for lovely homemade soup and curling up on the sofa with a quilt - you see I got there in the end!!
Today I thought I'd show you a different shape - the chevron, Bigz Die 658664 - which makes lovely patterns and is very easy to put together.
 


This die also partners with the half-square triangle - 657611 which completes the end of each row.
You can either cut the chevrons in pairs -
by laying the fabric on the die with fabric layered with right sides together, or lay all  right side up -
These pieces have been cut from a 'Jelly Roll' - each strip yields 7 chevrons.
The cushion I have shown used 28 chevrons and 14 triangles -  it measures 20" x 14" - and you could make 8 cushion fronts from 1 x 40 strip Jelly Roll,
or  a lap quilt - approx. 56" x 40", which could be a quilt for a young child -
or a lap quilt.
Or you could use it as a decorative border on a larger quilt.
As I say I'm just starting to play with this die - and I'm sure over the coming months you'll be seeing more projects featuring it.
I have to admit that the quilt for little Oona is not finished - she doesn't seem to mind - but I hope to show some progress on it by next week, and maybe even a photo of the little girls.
Now I'm of to have a cup of tea and decide just what to tackle next!!
Enjoy your sewing week.
Angela




No comments:

Post a Comment