Wednesday 15 January 2014

New Blooms! (Part 2)


The suspense has been killing me, so as promised last week here is part two of my Picture frame decorated with two fabulous dies from the new Tim Holtz range namely, Bigz XL Jumbo Tattered Florals and the Bigz Garden Greens.

Now if you remember, in last weeks thrilling instalment we die cut our flowers and foliage from Kraft card and attached them to an old frame and I was waiting for my Stone effect spray from PlastiKote (or Rust-oleum works just as well) to arrive. This gives a fabulous stone texture to your chosen projects which can then be painted over. As you can see below, I sprayed it on liberally, allowed it to dry and then mixed some very dark grey acrylic before painting the whole project taking care to get in all the nooks and crannies. 



I mixed a mid grey acrylic and dry brushed it across the surface very delicately to pick out the detail. Next, I mixed a pale grey acrylic and dry brushed the project once again. Finally I applied some silver wax gilt ( the stuff that smells like boot polish Mmmmm....) with my finger tip, randomly picking out bits of detail.

Last but not least, a picture of my Beloved Granddad, not bad from an old recovered frame and a couple of pieces of Kraft card? I think I'll go and make some more!






8 comments:

  1. wow is an stunning frame!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amante, easy to do but very effective!

      Delete
  2. This is really beautiful, Pete - definitely well worth the wait! I think I need to make a few to display some black and white photos of my family. The colouring you've used adds real 'gravitas' to the vintage look. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great technique for perking up old junk, the frame is literally a pound shop special. The stone effect spray gives a wicked texture to work over too!

      Delete
  3. Totally amazing! Absolutely LOVE what you've done! Such divine inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Michelle, I took it one step further too combining it with Powertex fabric hardener which I'll post next wednesday, it's such messy fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WoW, Pete, this is jaw dropping gorgeous!! Or as you Brits would say "I'm gobsmacked!", hee hee!!!!
    Love this frame! Thank you for the most amazing inspiration! Has Tim seen this post yet, he should, he would feature it on his must see list. I am saving this project to my favourites and I will make it!!!!
    Jacquelene L
    Canada

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Jacquelene, it's another one of those 'easy but effective' techniques of which I'm very fond I've got something similar coming up next week as we are off to Frankfurt for a trade show on Wednesday and they will form part of the Tom Holtz display area.

    ReplyDelete