Monday 22 April 2013

Tending to the garden




Not a lot of progress to show you this week with my grandmother's flower garden quilt, but I do have 5 flowers completed now.



Untitled


Untitled


Untitled


Untitled


Untitled

If you're wondering why I've sewn the black and white spotty hexagons to just part of the flowers then let me explain....that's the background.

Rather than sewing all of the background/sashing once I've finished the flowers I'm doing it as I go, that way I'll be much closer to finishing when I have all the flowers done, and I won't have to sew hundreds of black background hexagons in one go.

They'll go together like this....


Untitled


Obviously I've still got a long way to go before my quilt looks quilt-like, but I love how it's looking so far!

This week's job is to baste/tack a whole heap of individual hexagons ready for a plane trip to the US next week. An international flight is the perfect time to stitch up some hexie flowers, don't you think?!

Next week I'll show you my inflight sewing kit - you can take scissors and needles on flights, you just have to be careful with the sizes.

Have a wonderful week - what are you working on this week?


10 comments:

  1. That is a clever idea to do the background as you go along. I would be really interested to see what type of scissors you can take on a flight and also if it is acknowledged as you go through security. Sometimes they are over zealous in their approach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your flowers look lovely. I really like the look of the black and white polka dots for the background.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The individual flowers with the black petals remind me of violets and pansies!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love how your Grandmothers Garden is looking ~ the black dot is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm just working on the vine from your last quilt along ; ) this is lovely too

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's great! I'm doing a grandmother's flower garden too, but didn't learn to add background hexies to each individual flower until about 1/4 way through my king size quilt! It will definitely feel a lot better to have that done when I assemble the whole thing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it so far! Great idea for adding some background as you go, I would think it will also help you with choosing colors for your flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking fabulous. Can see there are some serious hours of work there....looking forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks beautiful and I love the idea of sewing on the background as you go! Always knew you were dead clever!

    ReplyDelete