Thursday 27 March 2014

Because she truly is worth it.....


This week - in preparation for Mother's Day - 3 quick and easy projects for that Special Mum.

Because lots of Mums like a cup of tea - a new tea cosy, coaster and mug warmer - you can make all or just one of them. I chose bright fun fabrics from my stash - but you could make it from your bits basket - it's the love that's it's made with that counts!
For the projects I obviously used my Big Shot and dies - 2" finished square - http://www.sizzix.co.uk/product/657607/sizzix-bigz-die-square-2-finished-2-1-2-unfinished or for even quicker cutting, use this die that cuts 4 squares at a time -  http://www.sizzix.co.uk/product/658321/sizzix-bigz-l-die-squares-2-finished-2-1-2-unfinished
For the tea cosy I cut 70 x 2" finished square.
For the coaster - 4 squares, and for the mug warmer 4 squares and 6 half-square triangles.
I made a card template for the tea cosy, after measuring the teapot -
 
 and pieced 2 rectangles 5 rows by 7, for the front and back of the cosy.

I cut 2 pieces of wadding and 2 pieces of cotton fabric for lining, slightly larger than the pieced patchwork.
I layered the patchwork right side up on top of the wadding and then covered it with the lining,
pinned and then stitched a 1/4" seam across the bottom of the patchwork, repeat once more with the other piece.
Press the lining to the back, pin all 3 layers together and trim to the shape of the template -
Pin the front and the back of the cosy together and attach a binding around the raw edges.
 


The coaster is 4 squares joined together and then layered with wadding and backing and then a binding is used to finish the raw edges.

For the mug warmer use 4 squares and 6 triangle - join as shown in the photo -
Layer the wadding and backing and then bind as for the other projects. Add a square of Velcro to the points of the mug warmer - one on the front and one on the back .
Projects completed - these took me less than 4 hours to complete - so there really is time to sew something for Mum.
Next week I'm off on my travels again - this time to the Creative Stitching show at ExCel, London.
So if you're in the Docklands area of London during 3rd - 5th April come and see me, and join in a workshop, on stand Y08
Now I'm going to start cutting the workshop kits for the show - so please come and use them.
Angela





 

No comments:

Post a Comment