Wednesday 4 September 2013

Fright Night!


I am really looking forward to Halloween this year. My Daughter Poppy is three now and, like many little girls her age, loves dressing up as a fairy. She is also a big fan of the Meg and Mog series of books so I'm on the lookout for a Witch costume.

I must admit, I also love carving pumpkins and they make delicious winter warming soups too!

I know Halloween is a little while off at the moment but  I am itching to share with you the range of Tim Holtz dies designed specifically for the season and beyond, Halloween is so much fun to scrapbook as the imagery is so strong and pictures of little ones dressed up in their finery is too good an opportunity to pass up.

I thought I'd make a quick card and share a few techniques at the same time. The dies I used are: 


I also used tons of different Distress Inks and the patterned paper come from the Miss Caroline range by My Mind's Eye.




I stated by creating a base card from the Miss Caroline card measuring 14 x 18cm and gently inking around the edges. Next, I cut a rectangle of smooth white card (14 x 10cm) and gathered my inks before inking directly onto the mat before spritzing the inked areas with a fine spray of water and a quick blast of Perfect Pearl Mists.





I placed the white card face down over the inked surface and turned it over before drying the ink with a heat tool. When dry I debossed the card with the Starry Sky Texture Fades folder.



Next I worked on the card using the various inks with my applicators carefully and patiently building up and blending the colours, this also acts to enhance the debossed detail. Next, I Spritzed the surface and used my heat tool to generate a mottled effect before using a black ink applicator to gently enhance the detail. Finally, I used the blade of my scissors to scuff the top and bottom edges of the card.



After attaching the Starry sky to my base card I die cut the moon from the Miss Caroline card and used a clear embossing ink pad to stamp the spider web image onto the face of the moon before adding clear embossing powder, shaking off the excess and fixing with my heat tool. Next I used my ink pads to colour the moon with the embossed spider web acting as a resist. 



I used the same ink pads to colour the stars cut using the same die and attached them to the face of the base card along with the moon using 3D foam pads. Finally, I stamped the legend 'Happy Halloween' onto a strip of the Miss Caroline card and roughly concertina folded it before flattening and distressing with a sanding pad.



All that remains to do is to attach the phrase to the base card using 3D foam pads. Too much fun I'm sure you will agree?



Next month we will take a look at Tim's new Christmas dies. and believe me they're fab!







No comments:

Post a Comment