Thursday 28 November 2013

Quick quilt almost finished!


I hope you enjoyed the quilt hop last week - I loved all the projects - and will be planning some Christmas stockings like Katy's - for next year!
With only 4 weeks to Christmas I am beginning to think I have to become very organised - and make a list of presents to buy and those to make (yes I still think I have time to make a couple of gifts.
This weekend I'm at the Quilt show at the Bath and West Show Ground in Shepton Mallet demonstrating the Big Shot and Bigz Dies alongside Cotton Patch -

and I have a few ideas for quick Christmas makes and gifts - so if you're in the area and can make it come along and see us. It's also not too late to get yourself a great Christmas present - or give someone who loves you a great gift idea.
Once you have one of our lovely Big shot machines you can then have a wish list of dies you would like for future gifts - how easy and useful is that- no more ornaments that you will have to dust!!! or chocolates that you shouldn't really be eating!!
Now to the quick quilt -
As you saw last week I cut lots of 5" squares with Bigz die 657626 and decided the quickest way to make the quilt was to lay them out in a diagonal pattern ( random always takes me ages to plan!!)
I used the following number of squares from each fabric  (I'll label them A-G for ease) which will create a quilt 10 x 11 squares.
A = 10, B =14, C = 7, D = 10, E = 9, F=10, G= 10 and from the peach fabric I cut 40.
From the remains of the fat quarters I cut 2" stripes using die 657633 - these are for the borders.
Here is the pieced top - and because the pieces are so precise - I sewed them without pinning! and so this only took me 2 hours to stitch together. When pressing the seams I ironed the seam allowances in opposite directions on alternate rows so that they would butt together neatly when joining the rows.
I added a 3" border, cut with the long strip die - 657634 -( which is 2 1/2" finished width) from the peach fabric and added that.
So the quilt is 50" x 55" finished size.
To complete the quilt you will need a backing and wadding to fit and then when layered and quilted - you just need to add the binding

No comments:

Post a Comment