Dies used: Half-Square Triangles, 4 1/2in Finished Square
Square, 4in Finished (4 1/2in Unfinished)
The piecing for my eldest son, Aidan's quilt is now finished.
I mentioned in my previous post that there was an issue with the quilt top that needed ironing out and so after the piecing was done resolving that was next on the list. I ordered the background fabric online and so didn't examine it thoroughly before buying it but I knew that the many little line drawings of everyday objects that covered it would fascinate and appeal to Aidan. So far so good. It was only when I began to cut it into squares and half-square triangles on my Big Shot that I noticed an unexpected picture that wouldn't really be at home on an almost 8 year old boy's quilt. I'm not going to go into detail here about the not-particularly-suitable items that were depicted (I have gone into more detail on my own blog http://twoowls.typepad.co.uk/ ) but after some thought, concluded that they should probably be covered up.
Applique was the obvious choice of cover-up method and a star shape to echo the patchwork design seemed most appropriate. I fixed some iron-on adhesive (fusible web) to the reverse of some scraps that were just big enough to cover the smallest, central star on the Stars, Nested die and cut out a neat pile of perfect little stars.
After removing the backing paper from the stars, I then pressed them in place over each of the unwanted pictures wherever they occurred on the quilt top. Considering the stars were added purely to solve a problem, they really add something to the overall look of the quilt top and it looks better for them.
Each star now needs to be sewn around to ensure that they are firmly held in place and they will also be quilted over later for extra security.
From now on I will be posting every other week and so hopefully this quilt will be finished in time for my next post - it has to be really as it's Aidan's birthday in 10 days time!