Thursday 13 November 2014

Quick Scandi Christmas block


How are you - I hope you're enjoying the build up to Christmas and that you have a lot more fun and enjoyment than stress.
Last year I thought it would be nice to start a family tradition - a quilt for Christmas eve - when the grandchildren can snuggle up under the quilt, in their Christmas pyjamas, and  enjoy watching a film together.
So we are only 6 weeks away from Christmas and I'm just starting the blocks for the quilt! Well that is progress, and even though I might not get it finished for this Christmas, I am moving in the right direction.
So I have chosen these lovely Scandi style fabrics, and plan to keep the design quite simple -
 

 I just love these colours and designs.
I have used the following dies for my star block -
 1 square in red with white stars.
With the Big Shot and die 657520 http://www.sizzix.co.uk/product/657520/sizzix-bigz-l-die-half-square-triangles-5-finished-square , and red with cream heart outlines, I cut
 8 half-square triangles.
 4 x 4 1/2" squares.
To begin I stitched 2 half square triangles to each side of the quarter square triangle -
and then I stitched these to opposite sides of the 8 1/2" square -

and then I joined the 41/2" squares to each end of two of  the pieced triangles -
 To complete the block these were stitched to  opposite sides of the centre square -
So that is my quick make for Christmas - it is a 16" finished block - so it could be a cushion or a table centre. I am still hoping that I can make a quilt for Christmas - and so I plan to use the same design for all of the quilt blocks, and mix and match the various fabrics I have from the range.
Will it be finished for this Christmas? - I have no idea, but, for the first time ever, I have the beginnings of a quilt for Christmas - I feel quite warm and cosy inside!
That's all for now - have fun.
Angela
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment