Thursday 29 January 2015

Snug as a bug!


That's what I'll be when this little lap quilt is complete -
 
I decided to try to use up all of the wool fabric that I had - so this really is a scrap quilt - which is already becoming a favourite before it's quite finished - maybe partly because the weather forecast is for much colder weather and I will be able to curl up under this beauty!
To get the most out of the pieces of wool I had I decided to cut more squares and rectangles in different sizes - I have already cut out rectangles using Bigz die 658113 - 8 1/2" x 4 1/2" unfinished
 
and squares using Bigz Die 659838 - 4 1/2" unfinished square - http://www.sizzix.co.uk/product/659838/sizzix-bigz-die-square-4-finished-4-1-2-unfinished
using the Big Shot machine, and then
I also cut out some 3 1/2" unfinished squares with die http://www.sizzix.co.uk/catalog#q=657608 
and some 3 1/2" x 6 1/2" unfinished rectangles - http://www.sizzix.co.uk/catalog#q=657625
My plan was to create 12" finished blocks - so I could make some using all of the 4"/8" shapes and some using the 3"/6" shapes --
The photo below shows the lay out for the 4"/8" pieces
 and this photo shows the layout for the 3"/6" pieces. ( the photo is a cheat because the proper one came out a very strange colour so I laid out another block but didn't have enough rectangles!!!)
I had enough pieces to make a total of 16 blocks which I decided to lay the pieces out randomly, but took care to make sure that the colours and patterns were mixed in each row.
I joined the blocks into 4 rows of 4 and then joined the rows - so I have a lap quilt measuring 48 1/2" square.
Just a note that I still only used a 1/4" seam and I pressed the seams flat open on the wrong side to try to reduce bulk at the seams.
I like it so much I'm going to add another photo -
I'm going to back the quilt with either a plain wool or fleece - I'll show you a photo of it finished next week.
And just as I was going to finish this blog - one of my friends, Alex, suggested that there were enough pieces left to make a cushion so I trimmed the remaining pieces to 3 1/2" squares and laid them out like this -
 
 which when stitched together became a cushion front -
which then just left this -
I'm very pleased to have used so much of these beautiful fabrics and will show you the finished quilt and cushion next week - along with a lovely valentine project.
Keep warm this week - I'm hoping for snow to go and play in with the grandchildren - we can hope.
Angela




No comments:

Post a Comment