It seems like more than a week since I wrote my blog - I guess the Bank Holiday is part of that - and wasn't it lovely to have some sunshine!
So now to finish the quilt with the binding.
I used the Big Shot machine and die 657633 - 2" strip, with 656847 - XL Cutting Pads, to cut enough strips for the quilt - it needs 190" length.
I joined the pieces together in a long strip and pressed the seams flat open and then pressed one end of the strip to the wrong side. Then fold and press the strip in half along the length ( seams enclosed).
Starting part way down one side match the raw edges of the binding to the raw edges of the quilt, and stitch in place using a 1/4" seam leaving the first 2" unstitched.
Stitch to within 1/4" of corner.
Fold binding diagonally, as in photo below
and then back down - see photo - and pin, then stitch from the pin to the next corner - this creates a mitred corner.
To join the binding - trim to length and then tuck inside the folded end
Pin and then stitch in place.
Trim away backing and wadding to 1/4" to match the edge of the binding.
Press the binding towards the edge of the quilt and turn it to the back of the quilt. Slip stitch in place.
At the corner fold the binding to create a mitre
With the binding finished I trimmed any stray threads and then decided to hand stitch some antennae to the butterflies.
Now all that is left to name and label the quilt - that's a job for next week - I'm off to bake some brownies now!
Enjoy your week.