Monday 13 May 2013

thinking outside the (scrap) box




Last week I made a bag, using a fabulous and very simple pattern, by a friend of mine. I don't often (if ever) make bags, and the process was so enjoyable that this weekend (when I really should have been doing many many other things judging by the mountain of laundry that is sat by the washing machine) I pulled out some of my best fabric scraps and my ever favourite 2.5" bigz square die and starting cutting squares.

sewing squares

Watching the little pile grow was so much fun, and when I'd cut what I thought was probably more than enough I starting sewing them together into rows, following the pattern pieces for the bag as a guide.

what you building in there?

Soon I had 2 pieces that were big enough for the main panel of the bag. I added a front pocket (which wasn't in the pattern, but I had cut more than enough squares so it seemed like a good idea) and attached the handles.

panels - done!

Now I'm waiting for some stiff interfacing to arrive and I can add the bottom panels of my bag and sew it all together. I think I need to plan a weekend away with my new bag!!!!

I love how by thinking outside the box ever such a little I changed the entire look of the bag - this one screams 'I make quilts', don't you think?! And what is even better is I made it from scraps - so it didn't cost me anything, except for the interfacings. More money to spend on new fabric and maybe some new dies for my big shot too!

14 comments:

  1. Love this post Katy! I just bought a Sizzix Big Shot today. No dies though because the shop I bought it from were completely unaware that you can use it to cut fabric, so I will have to order some online. I'm thinking a 2 1/2" square will be one of my first dies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the 2.5" square is the one I use the most, I find it so useful for cutting scraps and always having a stack of squares ready to go when I need them

      Delete
  2. I have just cut my first ever pile of 2.5" squares with my brand-new Sizzix dies but until now had no particular plan for them! Now I have, thanks Katy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your bag was so great and I love the ideas to use squares. My birthday list have the new big shot ( so pretty and not pink) and I cannot wait for it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! Your bag handles are great. What did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I used a jute webbing and used 2.5" strips from fabric stitched on to add a little bit of interest.

      Delete
  5. I keep seeing this bag pattern, I love making bags and this one seems like and easier pattern?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very simple - follows the same principle as a pouch, so nothing tricky - just over sized!

      Delete
  6. For someone who doesn't make bags...it looks like you've two nearly done! Love the cute fabrics! But wondering what the lining is?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the bag so far. SV takeaway, absolutely brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looked even more fab 'in the flesh' as it were :-)

    ReplyDelete