Friday 1 June 2012

We Salute You!



At long last the Jubilee weekend is nearly here so break out the bunting and dust off the best china! Sorry to interrupt the blog hop, but since we have this very special occasion coming up at the weekend, I wanted to share these Jubilee inspired cards with you. 

I must admit, I have allowed myself to be swept up in all the hullabaloo, usually I just look forward to the time off, this time I'm actually looking forward to what will be a very British celebration. I have the utmost respect for the Queen, no matter what the anti-monarchy brigade say I think she has been a real asset to UK PLC over the last 60 years which is worth celebrating in itself.

With that in mind, here's a little something I put together using the Pop-& Cuts dies which will be available some time this month (keep your eyes peeled, they're great) and a few Framelits.

The dies used are:
  •  Movers & Shapers XL Die - Card Horizontal A2 w/Circle Label Pop-Up (657802)
  • Sizzlits Decorative Strip Die - Flagpole w/Lantern & Sign (657792)
  • Framelits Die Set 8Pk - Circles (657551)
  • Framelits Die Set 4Pk - Ovals, Scallop (657564)

I started by cutting the base card using the Pop-& Cuts die, from Ivory cardstock, next I hand cut a blue base card (297 x 120mm) and rounded off the corners before folding in half and gluing the Ivory pop-up into the centre.

I used my computer to create and print some red,white and blue lined card and die cut the poles and bunting with the Decorative strip die. I attached the poles to the base card using 3D foam strips, thread cotton between the tops and hung the bunting prior to adding a striped strip to the centre of the pop-up.

Die cut a black scalloped oval and smallish ivory circle using your framelit dies, cut a slit near the bottom of the Scalloped oval. Use the framelits circle dies to create the nose and mustache ( to learn how to create other shapes with the circle dies go to http://www.sizzix.co.uk/101 and look at the simple shapes section at the bottom) and assemble the face using small punched circles for ears.

Ink the edges of the shapes and curl the edges of the mustache and nose to create a little depth. Emboss the scalloped oval with any dotty folder and insert the assembled face into the pre-cut slit.

Cut a red circle for the body and hand cut the collar from black card, use two sizes of circle to cut what will become the sleeve of the saluting arm.

Trim the sleeve to size and add a strip of black card to one end. use a semi-circle of ivory card for the hand and mount together before attaching a strip of ivory card for a belt. Attach to the pop-up centre with 3D foam pads, use scissors to cut a small rectangle of gold card for the buckle and use a hole punch to cut four gold buttons.

I used my PC to copy the style of a London street sign for my 'We Salute You' phrase which was printed onto ivory card, trimmed to size and I used a punch to round the corners. The phrase was then attached to the card over a strip of the stripey card using 3D foam pads.

I couldn't resist so here are a couple more, same Framelits techniques, twice the fun!
Remember, the blog hop in still on until the fabulous Paula finishes off the week on Saturday.
Sunday - Pete Hughes
Monday - 
Lory Bucaria

Tuesday - 
Celine Navarro

Wednesday - Paivi Forsstrom 
Thursday - Karine Cazenave-Tapie Friday - Anna DÄ…browska Saturday - Paula Pascual

Happy Jubilee everyone! Enjoy your long weekends!






4 comments:

  1. These are too cute! I love them. They would be great embellishments for a Project Life layout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pete, you are amazing! Love your cards and so does Karen B :-)

    ReplyDelete