Monday 26 August 2013

half square triangles and squares





Half square triangles and squares are the basic building blocks for so many traditional (and non- traditional) quilt blocks.




I made the block below using the 4" finished square and the 4.5" half square triangle dies. It's a whopping 24" finished (when sewn into a quilt)


star block

here's what you need to make your own;

cut from background fabric (grey) 24 triangles using the 4.5" HST die
cut from background fabric 4 squares using the 4" finished square die
cut from colour 1 (pink) 16 triangles using the 4.5" HST die
cut from colour 2 (green) 4 squares suing the 4" finished square die
cut from colour 2 (green) 8 triangles using the 4.5" HST die

also cut 1 square from a 3rd fabric (blue) measuring 8.5" OR use 4 squares cut from the 4" finished square die

It's a great block to turn into a little wall hanging, or a cushion or make a few and turn into a quilt.

(I had fully intended to make this into a proper step by step tutorial - and I do promise I will in the next couple of weeks. You know when they say bad luck comes in 3s? That's been my week, so please bear with me as I deal with a family bereavement and a big health scare. All systems will be back to normal very soon, I hope!)



1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting even though you're going through a lot with your husband being ill and all. Take care.

    ReplyDelete