Thursday 1 October 2015

Newish - Kaleidoscope die



Now it's October and the days are shorter it's time to look at some of our latest dies before starting on Christmas projects.
This week I'm showing the Kaleidoscope die - 660182, its not the latest die but I haven't used it yet -  http://www.sizzix.co.uk/product/660182/sizzix-bigz-l-die-kaleidoscope-6-1-2-assembled
I can remember as a child being fascinated with a kaleidoscope viewer, and would look at it for a long time - this doesn't have quite the versatility - but with the use of different colours you will be able to create a diverse pattern.
For this blog I am only using 4 fabrics because it is just to show how the die shapes create the pattern.
For each block you will need  25 x13cm/10" x 5" of fabrics 1 and 2 and 18 x 9cm/7" x 3 1/2" of fabric 3
Using the die and the Big Shot (http://www.sizzix.co.uk/product/660200/sizzix-big-shot-machine-only-white-gray) or Big Shot plus (http://www.sizzix.co.uk/product/660020/sizzix-big-shot-plus-machine-only-white-gray) cut 4 large triangles from fabrics 1 and 2, and cut 4 small triangles in fabric 3 -
(the small triangle is a lighter blue - but doesn't show up too well on this background) 
Join the large triangles together in pairs-
 
 
then join the pairs together -
 
and then join the 2 halves together -

Stitch the small triangles to the four corners to complete the block -
 
Press the whole block -
 

At this point you can either make more blocks using the same fabrics and alternating which fabric you add the small triangle to - or you could make all the blocks in different fabrics - making a lovely kaleidoscope of colour - the choice is yours!
 For now I have just made 2 different blocks -
I might make up some more of these and see where the colours lead me, and I can already see the beginning of an illusion of a curve - so this could be fun, but that's all I have time for now.
I'm off to enjoy a bit more of this late sunshine!
Next week I'm demonstrating the ~Big Shot Machines, and the Bigz dies at the Knitting and Stitching Show at Alexandra Palace, alongside Lady Sew and Sew - sorry I don't know the stand number - but do come and say hello.
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment