Thursday 8 November 2012

Lest we Forget


This Sunday morning, I will be at the Remembrance Day parade in my home town of Llangollen. Both of my boys have marched in the parade representing the local Boys Brigade for many years and I have many friends who have served or are still serving in the armed forces.

The Poppy is one of the most versatile and adaptable flower shapes when it comes to creating something from scratch. I put my thinking cap on this morning and came up with a new way of creating that iconic shape using my trusty Framelits circle dies.


I started with 3 colours of dotty paper and three circle dies before cutting them out with my Big Shot machine. Using a pair of scissors, I cut away little nicks in the edge of the orange and red circles and cit the black circle into a spiral. Next, I used some shaping tools and a foam mat to add some dimension to the red and orange circles.




Using a pair of tweezers I curled the black spiral from the outside to the centre to form the centre of the poppy. Using  one of the Framelits dies I cut a dark green dotty circle and cut away two leaf shapes (see Die Cutting 101 for more techniques at http://www.sizzix.co.uk/101 ). I then used the shaping tools to mould the leaves into shape and added nicks in the edges using my scissors.



Here is the final card, quite simple as it should be.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment