Wednesday 14 November 2012

Upcycling packing material: Mini album!




Happy Wednesday everyone,

Mini albums are a great way of documenting special events or travel stories. The paper craft stores are filled with different blank mini albums, and they come in various shapes, sizes and materials.
This time I wanted to create my own blank mini album. Materials were super cheap: The pages of this mini album are upcycled plastic packing material.

Here’s a list of materials I used:
My mini album has five pages. Four of them I cut with Bigz die ‘Card Fronts, Bracket ‘ and for the back cover I simply cut a 16.5 cm x 11.5 cm rectangle. I piled the book pages in such way that the width of the pages varied revealing nicely the bracket pattern of each page.





I did not want to cover the pages completely with patterned papers but left clear areas on each page. The nice thing about acrylic albums is the fact that the elements on following pages underneath are visible. However, this also makes working with clear pages a nice challenge: When you are placing elements on one page you need to think how they appear on the back and how they are visible through the album.




You can decorate the clear mini album in various ways: Stamping with StazOn ink works perfectly and rub-ons are simple to use, too.  For additional embellishments I used some buttons and lace I had in my stash, and simply glued them down on the pages.




 

When the pages were finished I made three holes with a hole punch to each page and attached the pages together with small book rings.
I hope this inspires you to start creating your own mini book. I’m sure material perfect for upcycling will be easy to find!

Have a nice week
Love,
 

1 comment:

  1. Elina, what a brilliant way to use plastic packs! The album is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete