Sunday 25 November 2012

Thrift Store Makeover



I love finding pieces in thrift stores and bringing new life to them. Here is a little shelf that had great trim but the backing was pretty ugly.


I decided to make a mosaic of matboard tiles embossed with my Sizzix Textured Impression folders to back it with. 

  • Gather matboard scraps in coordinating colors. 
  • Cut a stack of of 2 1/2"squares.
  • Emboss each square by running through Big Shot die cut machine using Sizzix Textured Impression folders (I used folders that I designed :-)). Distress each square using a blending tool and brown ink, shading the edges darker and leaving the middle light.  
  • Cut matboard backing boards to fit each of the three shelves. Distress them with brown ink. 
  • Line up squares in alternating rows, staggering the positioning. Cut where needed to continue pattern from shelf to shelf.
  • Use an ATG gun to adhere squares to backing board. Start with the middle row and work out to the sides. I added some thin matboard strips to each side to fill in extra space on the sides.
  • Adhere mosaic panels to the back of the shelf using ATG gun.


This was a fun project- I always love rescuing a piece and giving it a second chance.

Does anyone else like to recycle old furniture using craft supplies? Thanks for stopping by!

Eileen


No comments:

Post a Comment