Wednesday 2 September 2015

Quick Knits!


Don't worry, I'm not getting my knitting needles out. In fact the last time I used knitting needles was to drum along to the song 'Born to Hand jive' by Sha-na-na which was featured in the movie 'Grease' as I'm sure you all know? I remember it like it was yesterday but it was actually some time around Christmas 1978!!!

It is September already which means the kids are back in school and it's time to turn our attention to Christmas and all our new festive collections.

Tim Holtz never disappoints at this time of year and he has come along with another classic collection which dovetails nicely with last years collection too. Do you remember the lovely Nordic knitting pattern embossing folders? well now we can enjoy them in die form too.

I know that the title says Quick Knits and that is because I came into the office today thinking that it was a Tuesday! my mental calendar is a bit out of sync thanks to the recent bank holiday here in the UK so I had to come up with a quick yet effective blog idea, I hope you approve?


The Thinlits Holiday Knit set is one that you will be seeing an awful lot of in the coming months I'm sure as it is super versatile. I measured the length and width of the die I wanted to use, added the two measurements together and cut a square of kraft card in that size.



As you can see the level of detail is fabulous and this might be a good time to invest in the Sizzix Die Brush which removes all those pesky bits of card from your dies in the twinkling of an eye.



Once I had made my first cut the rest was easy, it makes a great festive frame! The magnetic platform was a great help too as it held the die in place while cutting.



I measured the square in the centre of the frame and cut another square of kraft card slightly smaller. Next I die-cut the large star from the Festive Scribbles Thinlits Set (It's Fab!) and the word 'Joyful' from the Holiday Words Script 2 Thinlits Set.



Time to add a bit of colour. I'm Using 'Broken China' Distress Paint applied with a brayer.



If you don't load too much paint onto the brayer you can add it gradually to achieve a more random effect.



Finally a bit of white chalky paint added in the same way before matting them together.



Phew! That was a quick turn around thanks to my trusty Big Shot. I promise to spend a little more time and care next week although I'd be more than happy if this card dropped through my letter box come December.


No comments:

Post a Comment