Wednesday 30 September 2015

Up, Up and away!


The title comes from a 1967 song from a band called Fifth Dimension which was part of the soundtrack of my early childhood. The second half of that line is, of course.....'in my beautiful balloon' which is where we start today's post.

Why 'Beautiful' balloon? Well, it has been designed by none other than Brenda Walton and it is one of several beautiful Thinlits dies sets in her new collection. This set also comes with a set of gorgeous text stamps which compliment the dies perfectly.I will probably showcase some of the others in the coming weeks but for now we are looking at Framelits Die Set 9PK w/Stamps - Hot Air Balloon which will be in shops from the beginning of October.

I'm also using my old favourite Mixed Media die set which always comes in very handy for mixed media and shabby chic style projects.



I am using a lovely paper pad from Studio Light which is perfect for the style that I want together with the die/stamp set. Apart from a few Distress Ink pads and some white card, that's pretty much it!




I cut a rectangle of blue patterned card and applied a few shades of brown Distress Ink around the edges before distressing and scrunching the edges concentrating on the corners. I used a fine sanding pad over the creases to add further contrast. Next I added the stamped sentiment in dark brown ink.




 I used a couple of my Mixed Media die set to add detail, I don't know what happened to the exposure on the second photo but they are the same, honest!




Time to cut the separate parts of the balloon which I then inked before putting together.



For my cloud (one of two in the set) I wanted to give the impression of sunset so I applied some Distress Inks to the base of the die-cut shape.



I took the bunting die and cut half a dozen triangles before inking the edges and gently curling up the tips. I attached them to the assembled balloon following a gentle curve.


Using double sided tape, I applied some short lengths of cotton to join the main body of the balloon to the basket.




I attached the cloud and the balloon to the background using adhesive foam pads before mounting onto a white base card.

If you like this card, and I hope you do then I must give 90% of the credit to Brenda Walton for creating such a beautiful and well thought through set of dies.







2 comments:

  1. Beautiful card! I have always loved Brenda Walton designs, whether paper or dies or embossing folders. You have really done justice to this die set.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Marci, it's hard to miss with such a great set of dies, I can't wait to feature some of the others in the coming weeks.

    ReplyDelete