Thursday, 23 July 2015

A turbulence of butterflies - baby quilt

 I'm not sure this is a correct name for a collection of butterflies but it got stuck in my head!
A friend has just had a baby girl, and so I thought I'd make a little quilt for her and, as I really like the new Echo Park range of dies, I decided to applique butterflies on it - and this view is where I started - and where the name turbulence originated.
Here is an image of the die that I have been using - Bigz die 660448
 I decided not to use the butterfly body's to keep the design simple.
 I used Heat and Bond on the wrong side of the fabrics - which I liberated from my stash - which I applied before cutting out.
I then cut outs of all three sizes of butterflies, and just scattered them over the background fabric, which is a cream print, also from my stash.
then came the job of trying to arrange them - but not too much so that it remained quite an informal arrangement -
This was just a bit too rigid - too much of a straight line -
this was closer - but seemed a bit too wide - so it became this -
I think I'm happy with this now - so I have to fuse the butterflies onto the background and stitch them! Yes that's all and I was hoping to finish it today - not really realistic but I'll have a go. So next week will follow on with the stitching and quilting of this quilt - hopefully.
Until then - enjoy the school holidays, and get ready for Festival of Quilts - 2 weeks today - see you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment