Thursday 30 July 2015

Turbulence of butterflies - part 2




 Hello again, I'm starting to get excited about the Festival of Quilts - I hope you are too.
I have finished the little butterfly quilt that I started last week -
 
First of all I hand stitched the butterflies - because I had 5 hours travelling in one day so thought I would put the time to good use.
I wasn't sure what to do for the quilting - which is done by machine (as I don't have anymore long journeys planned), and then I thought of using the butterfly as a template to draw around to quilt -
 blue butterfly is the template, and I used an air erasable pen to draw around it -
 
I only used the large and medium butterflies as templates, and I spaced them in the blank areas of the quilt, and then shadow quilted around some of the fabric butterflies as well.
I like the back of the quilt too -
 and think I might make some cushions with just quilted butterflies.
I have started making another butterfly quilt and this time I'm going to fuse the butterflies in place, and then layer up the quilt and stitch around the butterflies as the quilting.
Meanwhile - I thought the butterfly die would make a nice decoration on a hairband for a baby - so with some white stretch lace, and my trusty Big Shot machine - http://www.sizzix.co.uk/product/660200/sizzix-big-shot-machine-only-white-gray  and the Echo Park Butterfly Trio Bigz die -http://www.sizzix.co.uk/product/660448/sizzix-bigz-die-butterfly-trio
I cut out 1 small and 1 medium butterfly from double sided fabric (I did this by fusing 2 layers of fabric together with heat and bond).
Then it's really easy to cut the stretch lace to the correct length - and pleat the ends, and overlap and then stitch -
Pin and then sittch the butterfly in place to conceal the join -

I stitched initially with back stitch and then added French knots to add texture to the centre.
I think I'm going to be making quite a few of these!
So that's all for this week - hope to see you next week at the Festival of Quilts -
there will be 3 of us demonstrating the Big Shot machines and Bigz dies -
I will be demonstrating with Lady Sew and Sew,
Beth will be with Cotton Patch and
Mandy will be with Abakhan
Hope to see you next week.
Angela


No comments:

Post a Comment