This isn't a blog about Black Sabbath, Thin Lizzy, Deep Purple and the like, (although it can be arranged!) I want to share a cool technique which I picked up from none other than Mr Tim Holtz in one of his inspirational online classes.
There are two sets of classes namely Creative Chemistry 101 and 102, Follow the link to Tim's website to find out more, It's a great place to start for those of you who want to dip your toes into the often confusing waters of inks and acrylics, I learnt so much from the first set of lessons you wouldn't believe.
Much of what Tim does in his demos is centred around his range of die cutting and embossing tools created by Sizzix and today I wanted to give one of the ideas a go with absolutely no idea how I am going to use what I make! (sometimes it's the best way).
The dies I used are:
- Framelits Die Set 3PK - Oval w/Ornate Edges (657558)
- Thinlits Die Set 2PK - Flower, Mini Petals by Susan Tierney-Cockburn (658409)
- Sizzlits Decorative Strip Die - Spring Greeney by Tim Holtz (659573)
- Sizzlits Decorative Strip Die - Butterfly Frenzy by Tim Holtz (659575)
I started by die cutting the frame from stiff ivory card, I then chose my Distress paints namely Evergreen Bough, Tumbled Glass and Tarnished Brass. Next I applied some blobs of the first two paints onto my craft sheet.
I sptitzed over the paint to help it blend better and moved my die cut frame through the paint until completely covered before drying it with my heat tool. Next, I took my Tarnished Brass paint dauber and applied it to the frame before strategically spritzing with water.
Now here's the clever bit...... I started to dry the painted frame with my heat tool while at the same time strategically dabbing at it with a dry cloth. Where the paint was still wet it lifted straight off to reveal the blue/green colour below. This is a really cool effect if you want to get that tarnished brass finish.
I applied the Tumbled Glass and Evergreen Bough paints to the sheet as before and coloured a rectangle of the ivory card before drying with my heat tool and used this to die-cut the flowers, foliage and a couple of butterflies before applying my metallic technique, I also distressed a resin cherub (from Prima Marketing) at the same time
Once everything was dry, I used the frame to die-cut my photo which I aged with Old Paper Distress Ink and placed in the aperture, I then attached all the elements using a hot glue gun. I WILL use this for something in the coming weeks, honest!