Monday 7 October 2013

a christmas quilt



This week I've been really busy with a whole pile of projects, and it feels great to get things to a point where they're well underway or almost finished.

One for the almost finished pile is my Christmas quilt that I made using Bonnie Hunter's scrappy trips pattern and cut all of my strips with the 2.5" strip die.
This is the second quilt I've made using these fabrics - the first was for my friend's birthday

Binding

I cut the binding strips using the 2.5" strip die too (and followed my binding tutorial)

So I chose rain. Because it seemed to be the popular vote.

and now I'm just finishing of the last edge of binding, hand stitching it onto the back of the quilt. It's taking me a little while longer than usual because I backed the quilt in a soft cuddle fabric - like minkee. It has a short pile like a fur and is perfect for a wintery quit because it's so soft and snuggly. It quilts up beautifully, but it does take a little more work to hand stitch into, so I've had to take a few rests to ease my hand as it cramps up a bit every now and then

Still at it

As Christmas is fast approaching and we start to think abut what we'd like to put on our own Christmas lists I can really recommend the strip dies - they are a little more expensive than regular size dies, and you do need the extended cutting pads (25") too, but for a Christmas present they're perfect. The 2.5" strip is definitely one of the dies I use the most day to day, I would be lost without it these days!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Katy,

    I've got the strip die and the extended cutting pads you've linked to but obviously they're shorter than the die, how do you use them together please? I've not attempted it yet!

    Thanks

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I linked to the wrong ones! (changed it now) the ones you want are the really long ones which are here http://www.sizzix.co.uk/product/656847/sizzix-accessory-cutting-pads-bigz-xl-25-1-pair (code number 656847). These ones are the same length as the really long strip dies. Sorry Helen!

      Delete
  2. When I bound my fleecy Christmas quilt (so keeping up with the Jones'!), I attached the binding to the fleecy side and then hand-stitched down on the front; might be worth a go next time x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you use a batting too, or just opt for the cuddle fabric? Beautiful quilt!!

    ReplyDelete