Wednesday 2 October 2013

No time like the present




I have just returned from a couple of shows over at Ideal World wheref the best selling die of the day was the Sizzix Bigz Die - Packages & Bows by Tim Holtz (658768) which sold out in the first show, they managed to get more stock for the 7pm show and sure enough it sold out again.

While I would like to believe that the sales where down to my skills as a demonstrator or my sample cards, the truth is, it's just such a fantastically useful die that you look at it and instantly realise that this is one you will use time and time again, weddings, birthdays, anniversaries, Christmas or just to say thanks!

I want to share with you an idea about how to add the illusion of added dimension to the dies using sticky notes and ink pads.

I attached the dotty paper to a piece of chipboard (an old cereal packet will do just as well) there are two reasons for this: firstly, the resulting die cut is more rigid and easier to work with and secondly, the crease blade which adds all the embossed lines in the shape makes a really deep impression into thicker card stock. Die cut two Presents and trim away the lid from one of them along the crease lines provided.





Use sticky notes to masks off areas of the box and lid and gently and gradually apply a a deep brown ink to add a contrast in tone.





Remove the sticky notes and mount the two parts of the box together with thin adhesive foam pads to add a little more dimension and complete the 3D illusion. repeat with all the other presents on the die in a variety of colours not forgetting to add one of the two bows and attach to the base card using adhesive foam pads.






Here is a frame using the same technique, the background features a stamped image and the highlights have been picked out using white acrylic paint. the garland comes from one of the new Tim Holtz decorative Strip dies, namely, Holly, Beaded & Snowflake Garland (658760)




For this card I printed my sentiment onto plain white card stock using my PC leaving room for the two presents and cut them from mirror card again mounted onto chipboard. Notice the deep, clean emboss this achieves. I finished off the card with a few adhesive gems for good measure.




The phrase I printed using my PC and the present was die cut from corrugated card. I assembled the present from 3 separate die cuts adjusting the angle of the card each time to enhance the sense of dimension before adding the heart and a raffia bow.





Finally, a couple of his and hers birthday cards, really simple and all the die cuts beneath the presents came from Sizzix Framelits dies. I hope you enjoy this die as much as I have.








6 comments:

  1. Great makes, Pete. I especially like your top tip for adding shading to the die cuts in order to give the impression of dimension and perspective - very clever and effective! I also like where you've made the lid of the box a different colour to the base. Oh dear - I might have to seek out this die!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, it's a great die to work and in truth I could have done much more, it's one of those dies that makes you think laterally, maybe I'll come back to it in the run up to Christmas

      Delete
  2. Åh! I love this...thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are more than welcome, it is a fun technique and what a great die!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You consistently come up with the most creative uses for dies. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete