Monday 25 May 2015

A chocolate box using basics and tribal dies

I know the word Basics sounds a bit off, but when it comes to crating I think Basics are the most important thing you can have in your crafting area. And die cutting is no exception, I think one of the best investments you can do for your crafting aside from a Big Shot (Plus!) is to get a few basics dies like boxes and tags that will stand the test of time. One of my favourites, the Milk Carton (659196):


To add some decoration I used the latest dies from Craft Asylum Tribal Collection. 


Because my intention is to add something inside that may stain a bit, like chocolates, I wanted to make sure there was a plastified inside. Sticky back plastic to the rescue! I attached it to the back side of the paper.

Note that I am using the Big Shot Plus, so the die is smaller than the aperture. If I was using the Big Shot, the die would still fit nicely but would occupy the whole aperture. I used first my crease pad to die cut the box. However it didn't cut that well due to the plastic.


Now, this is an important photo on the right. Most wont think it is, but basically this is to showcase the difference when to use the Crease Pad (It comes in 4 sizes aprox:, 6x8, 6x13, 8x15 Plus, and 13 x 13 Pro) or the regular cutting pad. 

The Crease pad is perfect for making sure that the score blade does not cut, while the cutting blade still cuts. This is specially important in a dry place, including places with high heating or strong air con.

As you can see, because there is plastic on the back, I needed to cut it through using the cutting plate and not the crease pad. If I was die cutting just paper or card, I would need to cut it through with the crease pad, why? because although I live in damp England, my studio is kept warm and dry all year round!


I folded the score lines and to glue it together I used red line tape. Wet glue would not have work because of the plastic.


I glue both ends. Remember to use a strong tape for this.
Then I was ready to decorate it using the Tribal Borders die, die cutting it twice and joining them by overlapping them.


I glue the top first and then the bottom. Then I die cut one of the flowers from the Intricate Native Florals.


I die cut it a second time using coral paper and then layered them inside a blck 2 1/4" circle.
I attached it to the box using a foam pad.


The finished box.


You can see here than the pieces fit nicely in the inside of the flower, except one that I messed up a bit gluing it down.

And then there is the back, a little more simple.


I hope you like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment