Thursday 12 February 2015

Dinner for 2


 
As promised last week - here is a quick make for Valentine's day - yes you can still make something!
2 coasters and matching serviettes - really are a quick make - especially if you do what I did - and buy ready made serviettes and use one to make the coasters.
I used my trusty Big Shot machine http://www.sizzix.co.uk/product/657900/sizzix-big-shot-machine-only-powder-blue-teal , and Bigz Die - 

http://www.sizzix.co.uk/product/660117/sizzix-bigz-l-die-circle-5  - I cut 4 x 5" circles from a serviette and 2 x 5" circles of wadding.
I stitched 2 pieces of fabric and 1 piece of wadding ( on top ) together and clipped the seam and trimmed the wadding -

I then cut a small opening through a one layer of fabric,
to be able to turn the coaster right side out -

to create a smooth edge I ran a crochet hook around the seam on the inside, and then pressed flat.
Using die http://www.sizzix.co.uk/product/659962/sizzix-bigz-die-hearts-4 , - I cut 2 sets of 3 hearts from white textured fabric, which I had already applied fusible web to.
I fused the 2 small hearts onto the coasters - making sure that I covered the opening with the heart, and then I stitched the hearts in place.

For the serviettes I fused a large and a medium heart in the corner of each serviette and then machine stitched them in place to match the coasters.
Now how easy was that?
Not really into Valentine's day -well this could be a pretty little gift for an engagement or even a  wedding present.
I'm not going to be at home for Valentine's day - I'll be at the NEC getting ready for the trade show - Stitches, which starts on Sunday 15th. Maybe I'll see you there, and if not I may have some photos of new fabrics for later in the year, who knows?
What will I be sewing next? probably some baby quilts - with 3 great nephews due in the next few weeks and another grandchild in May - it looks like I'm going to be busy with quilts as gifts - but at least they're small.
Also as promised last week  - I couldn't decide how to quilt it and after a couple of false starts I decided to just stitch in the corners of the squares and rectangles so that it's almost invisible. Then to stitch around the unfinished edges so that the wool will fray out a little for a lovely soft edge.


I'm so pleased to have completed this ( and before the cold weather has completely gone ), and I guess I should call it a throw as it is only 2 layers and a quilt always has . I shall be nice and snug under it what ever I call it anyway!!!


Hope you like it.
Angela


No comments:

Post a Comment