Wednesday 11 March 2015

Monochrome Challenge



Last week I created three different cards using a vintage collage style, this week I want to work again in the freestyle collage style but using a monochromatic palette. I'm still starting each card without a plan of action but I'm limiting myself to black, white, silver and a couple of shades of grey.

I have used the same die sets as last week namely the Thinlits Floral Wreath set (23 flippin' dies) from Brenda Walton, the Thinlits Mixed Media set by Tim Holtz as well as a lovely set of Thinlits Happiness Phrases from the January 'Hello Sunshine' collection.

Creative restrictions is a subject I've discussed on this blog before. I believe that by limiting our  options we find more creative solutions. We all dream of having every die, stamp, paper, craft tool etc at our fingertips but sometimes the possibilities are overwhelming. This is the reason I used the word challenge in the title, I think we should all stretch ourselves from time to time.

I started by stamping a grey butterfly onto the base card before adding a strip of grey card. I used the fancy lattice die to add detail to a strip of silver mirror card before attaching to the base card and adding detail with a pattern wheel.

I die-cut two flowers and mounted a glitter gem into the centre before mounting onto the base card together with a die-cut grey branch. Next, I die-cut the word 'hello' from black card and mounted it in place. Finally I used some Liquid Glass from the good people at DecoArt this looks pearlised when applied but dries clear.



Here is the final card, I'm loving that liquid glass!


I started by stamping the crown in grey before stapling a cream lace fringe onto the which is very brave because although I know the general area of the card I will be working in I have no idea what comes next!!!

I took a piece of silver mirror card and cropped it with the hexagon pattern mixed media die which I then fixed to the base card using a stapler. I die-cut a black and a white butterfly and gently curled the wings to add dimension before matting them together and mounting them in place. I added a couple of die-cut banners then I die-cut and layered the tiny flower and heart before attaching with adhesive foam pads.


Finally, I die-cut and applied the 'BE HAPPY' phrase before adding a smattering of adhesive gems and pearls.


Last but by no means least... I stamped the phrase in grey before die-cutting two circles to which I added detail with my mixed media dies. I then die-cut the scalloped circle from silver mirror card and added my Dymo phrase (love that machine!!!)

I used one of my Framelits circle dies as a template to position the ring of tiny gems and added a Die-cut heart and layered flowers with leaves all topped off with a bit more bling! 

I do hope you have enjoyed this little freestyle adventure, why not have one of your own?


Before leaving you today I wanted to share a lovely little story.

 Freya is the daughter  of our good friend Andy, a colleague of ours here at Sizzix Central and last weekend she took part in a rather special sponsored walk where she raised over £350 on the day (although I believe that the total is closer to £400!).

The money raised will be put towards a life changing operation (selective dorsal rhizotomy) for a little girl named Emilie Harrington. Her sister Evie had the same operation and she now gets about thanks to a special walker and some intensive physiotherapy.

Not only did Evie take part in the walk, she also covered the full mile even though she was in some discomfort towards the end, sheer determination carried her over the finishing line, an image that I shall carry with me when ever I think I'm coming down with a touch of 'man flu' and feeling a bit sorry for myself.

Andy put up some posters to thank us all for the sponsorship money, bit I thought that Freya was the one who should be thanked and what better way to do that than in the form of a handmade card.

Thank you Freya







3 comments:

  1. Dear Pete,

    Thank you for sharing these designs and your take on the monochrome challenge, the design are looking absolutely fabulous and I think the touch with the Dymo tape really brings it all to life.

    I am glad to hear that you are enjoying your Dymo and I hope it will serve you very well for a long time to come.

    With best regards,
    Jesper K
    DYMOSupport

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous cards again, Pete. I have to add that mixed media die set to my ever-growing wishlist! I do like the effect from the liquid glass too. Thanks for sharing such an inspirational story, and Freya definitely deserves a card for her efforts :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Wendy, Please stop me if I use the liquid glass a little too much, you know what it's like when you have a new discovery?

    ReplyDelete