Monday, 30 March 2015


The end is definitely in sight, I still haven't quite finished my quilt but the actual quilting is now complete.

I totally underestimated how long it would take to actually quilt the design I chose for it. It's quite a dense pattern and not being an experienced quilter I had no real idea of the amount of work involved (including all of the un-rolling and then re-rolling the sides whenever it was turned for quilting in the other direction).

I am so, so pleased with the results though, it's been well worth the effort. The quickest part of making this quilt BY FAR has been cutting all of the half-square triangles on my Big Shot (using the Half-Square Triangles, 4 1/2in Finished Square die) at the beginning!

Also since starting it I've realised how versatile half-square triangles are and noticed lots of great designs using just half-square triangles recently. It's such a useful die to have with so many options.

So all that is left now is to hand-stitch the binding down on the back and as that's my favourite bit I'm saving that job to take away with me when we go away for a couple of days during the Easter break.

The binding fabric, as with every other fabric except for one Michael Miller print (Tiny Tiles, Topaz), is Cotton and Steel. Sticking mainly with one manufacturer meant any concerns about how well or not the colours would work together were minimal, colour choice tends to be my weak spot and this seemed the safest way to use vibrant colours.

Making this quilt has been a great learning experience, along with gaining a more realistic idea of the time involved in piecing and quilting, I've got to know my new sewing machine much better too!

No comments:

Post a Comment