Wednesday 29 April 2015

Little animal!


Leo is a little animal! He is the eldest son (almost five) of one of my best friends and since he was born I have called him 'Leo the lion'. when we meet, rather than exchange pleasantries we both bare our claws and growl at each other which is swiftly followed by a fight to the death (I always lose).

For his birthday this year I have bought him a lion watch but what I really needed was something cool to wrap it in which brings me neatly to this weeks blog post.

As you are all probably aware by new Sizzix have unveiled the Big Shot Plus which is the same as your beloved Big Shot but in A4 format. You can use all your existing library of Sizzix dies but now you can also use larger format dies and embossing folders. 

It also comes as a starter kit which has everything you could ever wish for to set you on your creative journey including a fabulous Thinlits box die and I know that there will be many more box dies released in the near future.

For my project I needed to cut two cream coloured boxes from a good heavy weight card, I know that the illustration below shows a box cut from kraft card but I used this because it photographs better! As you can see, the die both cuts and creases the box which is all one piece with a hinged lid....Ingenious!!!


I took one of the cream boxes and added some Distress Ink in a random fashion (Tea Dye and Wild Honey). I flipped the box over and labelled the parts before cutting it up along the crease lines using a craft knife.


I started with the top of the box which I cut into 3 separate strips. Next I placed them into the new wood grain folder designed by Doodlebug and debossed the wood grain texture.


I darkened the edges of each strip slightly using Vintage Photo Distress Ink and applied a rubber stamp which comes from a set called Sentiment Circles by Autumn Leaves. I attached the three strips to the top of the other assembled cream box. Next, I applied the same treatment to the front and sides of the lid before working my way around the whole box.


After popping the watch into the box on a bed of paper straw I applied the finishing touches. Firstly a length of chain from a piece of old costume jewellery wrapped twice around the box to secure the lid. Secondly, a mini padlock charm and finally a tiny tag printed with my PC. I love the overall effect and I hope both you and Leo do too?




2 comments: