Thursday 23 April 2015

My happy new quilt


This last week has been so lovely - but I haven't been tempted away from my sewing!
I've finished the quilt top that I showed you last week - it's only small but I do like it -
The finished size is 42 1/2" square - so makes a cute little lap quilt or even a picnic blanket.
The blocks are made using - http://www.sizzix.co.uk/product/660183/sizzix-bigz-l-die-triangles-isosceles-right-3-1-2-h-assembled and the 3"finished square - http://www.sizzix.co.uk/product/657608/sizzix-bigz-die-square-3-finished-3-1-2-unfinished 
The fabrics and amounts you need are as follows -
Centre squares - 3 pieces 12" x 4" - more if you are going to cut motifs for each square
Star points - 3 pieces 36" x 4 1/2" 
As I mentioned before I used the lovely fabric from the Fenton House collection by Guetermann for the stars.
White - 27" x 42" for the triangles and squares.
For the inner borders - dusky purple - 27" x 42" - cut into 2" strips and then cut 18 x 9 1/2" and 18 x 12 1/2"
For the sashing, outer border, and binding - 27" x 42" - cut into 2" strips.
- For the sashing cut 6 x 12 1/2", 2 x 39 1/2".
- For the outer border cut 2 x 39 1/2" and 2 x 42 1/2" ( now my fabric wasn't quite wide enough so I had to join an extra piece onto each end )
- the remaining strips are for the binding.
Backing and wadding - 45" square of each

Make the 9 blocks - you can see the layout for each block in my blog on 9th April.
Add the borders to each block.
Then join the blocks with the sashing, and then add the border.
Now this is as far as I've got this week - but all that is needed is to layer up the backing, wadding and top. Quilt by hand or machine - I'm not sure yet how I'm going to quilt - but hope to be able to show you what I've done by next week.
Binding uses the remaining strips, and voila! one small quilt completed
And now for something completely different - but with the same die -
If you join the triangles together in rows of 3, as pictured above, you can make easy hexagons!!
Or using 2 fabrics and staggering the rows you can make a zig zag design -
and that's just a starters - I like the idea of using one die for lots of different effects and projects - so next week I might still be on this die - you'll have to wait and see.
Hope you have a lovely weekend and make something fun.
Angela


No comments:

Post a Comment